I love scary movies. Good scary movies. I like high concept, far flung backdrops that keep you glued and characters you can like a little bit. There are plenty of not so good scary movies out there, from laughable to ‘what the @#!?’ but I won’t list them as that’s giving credit where credit is not due. Instead, I’ll throw up my top five scary movies of all time – feel free to share yours too!
1. 28 Days Later – I love this movie. It’s gripping, scary, and the best of all evil virus turning people into flesh eating zombie movies EVER.
2. Alien & Aliens – Totally immersive environment and unique alien – originality rocks. And Sigourney Weaver is awesome.
3. Hostel – Yes. This is a gore fest and more than a little disturbing. However, it meets my standards for a Quality Scary Movie. Not for the squeamish - mind you.
4. Pet Cemetery – Evil kid and the nightmare inducing sister locked up – Shiver. But what would you expect from Stephen King.
5. The Descent – It’s not the creatures lurking in the caves that get me in this one. It’s the tight spaces. I’m not claustrophobic, but this turns me into one.
After sitting through an okay wannabe ‘Descent’ last night, I pondered my faves and thought I’d share them. I’m certain I’ll come up with more good ones as the day progresses. After all, I’ve seen lots and lots of movies and I have an opinion on them all.